Error: Creating an instance of the COM component with CLSID from the IClassFactory failed

Peter Schmitz

Administrator
Staff member
While attempting to edit a job in SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) on a SQL Server 2008 R2 installation (Version 10.50.1600 - Gold release, without any service packs), I started seeing the following error:

Creating an instance of the COM component with CLSID {AA40D1D6-CAEF-4A56-B9BB-D0D3DC976BA2} from the IClassFactory failed due to the following error: c001f011. (Microsoft.SqlServer.ManagedDTS)

Additional information:
Creating an instance of the COM component with CLSID {AA40D1D6-CAEF-4A56-B9BB-D0D3DC976BA2} from the IClassFactory failed due to the following error: c001f011. (Microsoft.SqlServer.ManagedDTS)

The only workaround was closing down SSMS altogether, restarting it and then editing the job. Quite annoying, really. Luckily, this can be solved easily. Unlike Microsoft states on the first result in Google when searching for this error (their solution is updating to Cumulative Update 6 for SQL Server 2008 R2), the solution is ensuring that the dts.dll file is registered properly.

To achieve this, you must first find the location where SSMS is installed For most newer (64 bit) installation, this could be either in the Program Files or the Program Files (x86) folder. You can figure out which location applies to you by right-clicking the SSMS link in your Start menu and selecting "Properties":

dts ll error 1.png

In the "Target" text box, the installation path will be shown:

dts ll error 2.png

In my case, this is at:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\VSShell\Common7\IDE\Ssms.exe"

Hence, I need to check the C:\Program Files (x86)\ folder. The full path to where the file resides on my system is:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\DTS\Binn".

Verify that in the folder on your system, there is a file called dts.dll. Once you have all this information, click Start -> All Programs -> Accessories. There, locate the shortcut called "Command Prompt". Right-click it and then select "Run as Administrator":

dts ll error 3.png
You might be prompted to verify that you do want to allow the action. Then, navigate to the proper folder. In my case, this was achieved by running the following command:

Code:
cd C:"\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\DTS\Binn"

Then the command to properly register the dts.dll file is:

Code:
regsvr32 dts.dll

You will receive a confirmation when the action was successful:

dts ll error 4.png