Welcome to MSSQL Forum!
MSSQL Forum - Discussions about Microsoft SQL Server

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

Multi-Server jobs - Requirements

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2008 General Discussion' started by Peter Schmitz, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Peter Schmitz

Peter Schmitz Administrator Staff Member

In order to enlist a new SQL Server into a multi-server administration scenario, it needs a few things done first.

• SQL Server Agent needs to be running. If this is not the case, you will see the following error:

MultiServer1.png

• SQL Server Agent needs to be running using a qualified network account. So the 'LocalSystem' account will not work:

MultiServer2.png

• The server needs to have the option "Agent XPs" enabled.
    • Sql Server Agent should be configured to either support encrypted connections, or to disable SQ Server Agent to use use encrypted connections.
      MultiServer3.png
    This should be sufficient to get you up and running. However, I have also seen occasions where SQL Server Agent complained about SSIS not having been installed on the target. I have so far not been able to pinpoint a specific reason or configuration for that error, but if you have, I would be most happy to hear about it.