Multi-Server jobs - Requirements

Peter Schmitz

Administrator
Staff member
In order to enlist a new SQL Server into a multi-server administration scenario, it needs a few things done first.

• SQL Server Agent needs to be running. If this is not the case, you will see the following error:

MultiServer1.png

MSX enlist failed for Job Server <servername>.

An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch. (Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo)

SQL Server Agent is not currently running so it cannot be notified of this action. (Microsoft SQL Server: Error: 22022)
  • SQL Server Agent needs to be running using a qualified network account. So the 'LocalSystem' account will not work:

MultiServer2.png

Create failed for login 'LocalSystem'.

An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch. (Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo)

'LocalSystem' is not a valid Windows NT name. Give the complete name: <domain\username>. (Microsoft SQL Server. Error: 15407)
  • The server needs to have the option "Agent XPs" enabled.
  • Sql Server Agent should be configured to either support encrypted connections, or to disable SQ Server Agent to use use encrypted connections.
    MultiServer3.png
    MSX enlist failed for Job Server <server name>.

The enlist operation failed (reason: SQLServerAgent Error: The target server cannot establish an encrypted connection to the master server <server name>. Make sure that the MsxEncryptChannelOptions registry subkey is set correctly on the target server). (Microsoft SQL Server, error 22026)
This should be sufficient to get you up and running. However, I have also seen occasions where SQL Server Agent complained about SSIS not having been installed on the target. I have so far not been able to pinpoint a specific reason or configuration for that error, but if you have, I would be most happy to hear about it.