Adding additional maps to SSRS

Peter Schmitz

Administrator
Staff member
The Map control is by far one of the coolest controls in SSRS. Unfortunately, it only ships with the default US maps, and the rest of the world will have to add their own maps.

Luckily, this is pretty easy to do. The biggest thing will probably be locating maps that contain spatial data that can then be linked to the actual data tables (which also will have to contain spatial data), but luckily there is a CodePlex initiative collecting several of these maps. The project has been dubbed "MapGallery", and anyone is free to submit new maps, or use the ones already in the project.

After downloading a map from there, navigate to the following folder on the server containing SSRS:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies\MapGallery

By default, it will contain a folder called USA. You can choose to either create additional folders, or simply drop the downloaded .rdl file in this folder. For this example, I downloaded two maps: Euro and a World map called TWorldOutline. Within the MapGallery folder, I dropped "Euro" directly in the folder, and I added a subfolder called "World" in which I added the world outline map.

If you then add a new report in SSRS, and drag a Map control on it, the newly added maps will show in the "New Map Layer" report wizard:

Map.png